Monday, April 20, 2009

What's In A Name?

Jason and I have decided we want all of our children named after one of our ancestors....either middle or first name. My grandparents did a lot of genealogy work and I feel like to honor them and my family I wanted to keep names that were in the family going. We have some work from Jason's side as well so we are looking through those names as well.

I knew what we were naming this little girl when I found out I was pregnant.....if they were a boy I don't think I would know as quickly. We are naming her Lila Kristine. Lila was my great-grandma's name (my mom's grandma on her dad's side), she died when I was a baby but I have pictures of me sitting on her lap (I will have to scan them!). I have lots of history about her and her family and my grandpa is one of the biggest examples in my life. I can't wait to tell my little Lila about the Lila she was named after and about her family and the examples they have been to me. Kristine is my mom's name and what other name would I use? My mom is one of my best friends and is probably going to be the other mother raising this little one! I know I will be calling her everyday, 50 times, with questions on what to do! She is the greatest mom and I am so blessed to have her and it makes me so sad I realized how much I needed her after moving away from home to college...now I live over a thousand miles away and I wish I could see her everyday! I can't wait until my Lila sees the examples set by my mom, and her great-grandmothers that passed away, and live the lives they have, so she can be an amazing example to her children!


My Great Grandpa Hammond and Grandma Lila Hammond


Mom and Dad at my college graduation

18 comments:

The Eagars said...

I absolutly love Lila. That is perfect!

Steph said...

So sweet, you made me cry!

Anonymous said...

That is a pretty name...i can't wait to see her, she will be so cute I am sure. Are you still coming in May?

Mark and Lachelle said...

So sweet!! I know little Lila will love being named after such great women! I love the name Lila too!! Now if I can only get Mark to agree on baby names...

ash said...

What a cute name!! She will be so cute!!

tiff snedaker said...

That's so cute! I love it. Love the picture of your grandparents, classic! It's awesome that her name will have such significance!

Andrus Family said...

Love that, Court, very cute!

rychelle said...

Jason was so proud when he told me yesterday!! it is an adorable name!! Congrats!!

Kinz said...

So Cute!! I love that name! Good for you two that you could agree on a name--me and Brett didn't agree until she was here!

Adolescent Family said...

Great name! I am wondering if we could be distantly related? Boyscout's cousins are Hammonds!

Kelsy Alsup said...

so sweet...i love it, love you...i got a tear in my eye reading this. you are an amazing person. we are a lucky family to have so many great examples.

sarah said...

That is awesome! Good for you. Love the name (s).

dancin' momma said...

Love that name. The things you said about your family were so sweet!

Bryant and Jodi said...

That is a really cute name! By the way how is being prego?

Anonymous said...

Hey Courtney, Do you have a color scheme for Lila's room yet? How are you decorating it? Let me know please...i have something in mind:)

nicwoo said...

Lovely sentiments- We try to use family names, too.
The name game: Lila is very fresh sounding, a transcendence of the now popular Lily. (that's just my first impression)

The Adamsons said...

That is a gorgeous name! Is the i short or long though? so when are you coming to idaho?

Becky said...

Awesome! What a beautiful name! And I love that it means so much to you!
Girls are so awesome! We are so happy for you!