Sunday, January 16, 2011

65


Sixty-five years ago today, my Grandpa and Grandma H. were married. Sixty-five years! It is hard for me to even imagine that long...Jason and I will celebrate our 5 year marriage this year and it has flown by, but also seemed like forever ago. If I talk to my Grandpa (my Grandma passed away 4 1/2 years ago) about it today, he would say the same thing about the 65 years I bet. Today, I am sure he is remembering that winter day in Idaho Falls where he and his high school sweetheart were sealed for time and all eternity. They met in high school and after he served in the Navy in World War II, they were married. They created the most amazing family that I am so lucky to be a part of. 6 children which led to 28 grandchildren which led to 44 great-grandchildren (and 2 more on the way that I know of)!


These grandparents were second parents to me as I grew up. They lived in the same city I did and I was always over there. Many childhood memories were spent with them. They have been, besides my parents, the best examples to me. They were always selfless and did so much service for others, they were always so kind but stood their ground when they needed to, my Grandpa was and still is such a hard worker, and there are so many more things that I admire in them. When I am struggling with a decision or if J and I are, I often think about their lives and their marriage and ask what they would do and it helps me out. I am so grateful for their examples of life, service, church work, testimonies, and family.


I am so glad that today my Grandpa was able to spend time with lots of family members at my aunt's house; my cousin K is leaving for her mission on Wednesday and had her farewell talk today. I hope that through all of his thoughts of my Grandma and his wedding day he could look and marvel at what they built together as he watches his family members gather today. Wish I could be there!

The picture above is on their wedding day....January 16, 1946.

3 comments:

B said...

You made me cry--one because I miss grandma and 2, because I will miss Kelsy. Thank you. Ha! I feel the same way though. Love you sis.

J-me said...

amazing!

Mark and Lachelle said...

Awesome post Court! I loved your Grandma! She was such a sweet lady. I loved spending time with her and doing her hair when I was in school. And I love your grandpa! He always makes me laugh. What a sweet, wonderful couple they are! :)